13 May 2012

A Little Help From My Friends

I am stubbornly independent. And that's an understatement.

And while I know it's one of the things Alec loves about me, it's only good to a point. Only in the past couple of years have I really learned that it is OK to ask for help from people when I need it. Everyone from good friends to total strangers is usually willing to give assistance, if others would only request it.

Pan out to my current situation: I finally got tickets issued on a pet-friendly flight this Thursday. But last week I dropped the car off for processing and storage, and signed it over to the government. There's really no way to reverse that. So I caught a ridiculously expensive cab ride with myself, the Ginger, and 5 bags to a hotel nearer where I will now be flying out of; and I've been walking everywhere ever since.  Unfortunately, in order to get her on the plane she needs current paperwork from the vet stating that she is in good health and whatnot. The only appointment they could give me is the afternoon before we leave!  And without a car, it means two more super-expensive cab rides, plus a ride to the airport the next day.

A young lady I previously did not get along with, but with whom I recently had lunch and made amends, offered of her own decision to pick us up on Thursday and take us to the airport. It's a 2.5 hour round trip for her. All I had to do is get her coffee and gas money :)

Another woman, the wife of one of Alec's contemporaries whom I have literally met twice in the past month, agreed to make two round trips to get me and Ginger to the vet, and bring us back in the evening. I felt terrible asking, initially, for what seems like a huge burden. I do really hate to impose, and if I still had the car it would be nothing, but at 27 years old I have *finally* learned that it is OK.  Her response really warmed my heart, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

"I have certainly had a similar realization in the last two years, particularly with the children and Andrew absent at different times - I think asking for help actually is a sign of maturity and humility, and also, really, people are blessed by helping others! So many friends - people I knew well, and people I didn't - helped me over the last year, in so many ways. I'm delighted, now that we're settled in, to do the same."

Awwww :) I am so glad to have such a strong, kind, built-in community!

No comments:

Post a Comment