19 May 2012

Turning Japanese

Oh. My. Gosh. What a trip!

There was a minor hangup regarding Ginger's crate at our initial check-in, but when I explained the situaution someone was willing to work with me and finally OK'd it just in time for me to get some coffee before boarding. Then of course the plane sat around and was nearly an hour taking off; yet even at that it was several hours into the flight - well after lunch had been served and trash collected - that I was able to get confirmation that Ginger was on board.

Only then could I "rest easy" although as predicted I was unable to sleep on either flight. I did have nice company for 14 hours, though: a Korean War veteran and his Japanese wife who told me stories about their children and how flying used to be and what a blessing marriage is.


When we landed in Tokyo, and I got Ginger and alllllll my luggage on a cart, everybody at the airport was very friendly and helpful, pushing my heavy cart for me and explaining exactly where to go and what to do next. Unfortunately the customs process took a long time with a dog and we did not have time to go walk or eat or drink water before transferring to the next flight. And of course she "held it" like a champ.
It was so funny how they wrapped her up like a fish in a net! 


Even though I had been awake for 26 hours straight and I felt filthy, I have rarely been so completely happy as when I saw Alec outside the baggage claim. Alec gave me and Ginger a big ol' hug and we both drank a bunch of water!


Japan, even here on Okinawa, looks as neon and mountainous as you would expect. I will save my general reflections for another post.

Stay tuned!!

I did take pictures; but that was with the camera and right now I can only use internet from my phone. When we move out of the BOQ or if I use the wifi at the bowling alley I will upload them!

[EDIT] PICTURES!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am soooo happy you and Ginger made it okay. She's a trooper and is a lucky girl to have y'all. Now- onto the next step of just "being" in Okinawa. Can't wait to read the next few blogs from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to post your adventure for the rest of us! I a delighted to be able to pass this along to Grandpa and the rest of the clan. Yes, do record all your reflections - this is truly the experience of a lifetime!Hugs all the way from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time and energy to post - yes, do continue to record your reflections - this is the experience of a lifetime! Giant transoceanic hugs to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete